Saturday 30 April 2011

Too Much Heat For This Eskimo Friend

My last day at the clinic was a scorcher.
I was working in the antenatal area doing prenatal assessments and immunizations when we heard a piercing shriek from the other side of the health center. I looked up from my book work as the other nurses laughed at me and said "it's a delivery". Maternity being my favorite area of nursing I jumped at the opportunity to participate in a delivery. As I enter the labour room which consists of two bare stretchers, a broken incubator, an outdated suctioning system, an old rusty weigh scale and some other miscellaneous birthing supplies, they dress me in a heavy orange gown and get me to put on gloves. The mother is alone so another nurse volunteer from Australia and I try our best to be her support people with reassuring touch, eyes and words that she can not understand (oh how i wish I could speak Swahili). I will not go into the details as I think even though in Kenya, I shall maintain confidentiality. Let me just say Kenyan woman are remarkably strong. There are no pain killers used here for childbirth. I guess when you have no other option humans can endure a lot. The baby is born, dried, weighed and wrapped. I suggest skin to skin but the nurses don't seem too receptive. Maybe next time. My Aussie nurse friend leaves to get some air as the room is quite stuffy. I stay with the mother as the nurses finish caring for her. My friend comes back and but a few minutes later I feel heat crawling up from my toes and I start to leave the room and tell her I am feeling dizzy. She takes my gown off for me and tells me she was feeling the heat when she left the room too. I go outside and lean on a half wall, the grass below me is spinning. The next thing I know Sally is holding me up saying my name and trying to help me to the floor. I wake up and sit down against the wall. She tells me I had a little faint and goes off to get me a bottle of water. I sit there waiting thinking, how did that lady deliver a baby in this heat? I have never fainted before, it is a strange feeling leaving the world for a few seconds but you do feel much better when your body reboots itself. My water arrives and I drink it quite quickly. Sally sits beside be and goes: "well, at least you didn't pee yourself". We laugh. She said I looked so pretty and relaxed hanging over the half wall. I think for the next delivery I will leave the gown on the hook.

4 comments:

  1. Kristinn! What an amazing experience. Praise God for a smooth delivery (minus your faint). Hopefully you will have to opportunity to talk to them about skin to skin and be able to do some other educational stuff there. You're a great writer...I felt like I was right there with you! Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kris and Kale-it is great to be with you via this blog.I know it is work and time for you to log your journey there but there are many others who have been given this blogspot and they may be enjoying this as much as we do(they just may have as much trouble as I have to post comments...I have actually written you 3 other times and as soon as I submit the comment, it disappears!!)ANYWAYS...it is a blessing to see you two facing the challenge and adventure of doing the first 3 months of marriage somewhere completely out of your element.Kale,you are doing what is the heartbeat of the Lajeunesse family and with a beautiful life partner-I cant begin to express the joy that wells up in me as you choose to live and make community among those who have been given much less than yourselves materially.I pray for you and Kris that this time will be pivotal in how you respond to those in the communities you come back to-change is good and may you bring back the good that inluences you there to influence us.Love you guys
    Mom and Dad Lajeunesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Hope you are both doing well and still enjoying life in Kenya! Noah knows you are in "a-ki-ka" but he still misses you. Keep up the good work. We think about you daily. Can't wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear about your experiences, we check your blog often! Sounds like you are having a great experience so far over there.
    Kacee misses you, and so do her parents.
    Love, The Kitchens

    P.S. You may want to think about changing the font on your blog, it is somewhat difficult to read!

    ReplyDelete